Skip to main content

Who knew I was so outdoorsy!?


Well, I survived. In fact, I would consider the trip again. It wasn't drinks on the beach but it wasn't torturous either. And much to my own surprise I can rough it!

I knew my week would be a "dry" one so I made sure to get a few drinks into me the Friday before we left. Two Caesars and a beer later I had a great sleep at the Four Points by Sheridan in Mississauga. Which was a good thing as 5:15 am rolls around pretty quickly!

By 11am EST the boys, Ethan (nephew) and Gus (son), and I were at our destined airport, Saskatoon. And let me tell you, the walk to the baggage claim is quick! Nothing like our workout of a maze at Lester Pearson. It was lickety split and we were out of there and off for a Saskatchewan breakfast with Grandma!

When you fly to Vancouver, you smell the sea air when you step out the doors of the airport. When you fly to Saskatoon, you smell canola. (Both of which beat the pants off of the oppressing smog that greeted us in Toronto on our return flight)

After a lay over in a mall in Saskatoon and some grocery shopping in Prince Albert, we were headed towards our home away from home. A cabin on Montreal Lake.

This cabin, has a solar panel for electricity, a tank of water for the kitchen sink, and that's about it for "luxuries". But, as my son put it, "Grandma, you have a real nice little place here"

The one thing I missed was the modern convenience of a toilet. Ugh. Waking up at 2:30am with a full bladder and the great wilds of the north outside, does not make for a good sleep. I tried for as long as I could to ignore the fact that my bladder was brimming and ready to overflow, but finally around 4am I could no longer pretend I didn't have to pee. With a sigh and a heavy heart I grabbed the tp and headed out the door into the wild.. where I squatted. And I was sober.

I did use the outhouse, which really isn't too bad in the daylight when you can make sure no extra critters are joining you. Gus and Ethan held out as long as possible for their trip to the outdoor facilities. Choosing to water grandma's flowers in most cases, but on Monday Ethan made the first trip and Gus held out until Tuesday.

Swimming, boat outings, canoeing, campfires, and games kept us occupied for the first half of the week.

On Wednesday we made the hour journey into LaRonge, where both Grandma and Grandpa work. We visited the building which house both of their offices. We also made sure to visit the toilet in this establishment. We were introduced to the entire Adult Probations division, not at the wrong end of the law, but rather as my mother's pride, to her co-workers.

On Thursday we did some illegal travel (shhhhh) in my mom's fairly luxurious 23' Airstream. There wasn't enough room in the Tundra for us all, so some of us, us which will remain nameless in light of the illegal nature of this matter, travelled while relaxing on the queen bed playing Yahtzee, Uno and  Crazy Eights.

We arrived in Moose Jaw for a Festival of Words event that Grandpa was doing some readings and autographing at some 7 hours later of illegal transportation.

I am thinking that Gus was holding in all of his bodily fluids until we reached flush toilets or was just purely overjoyed at the sight of the toilet, as he was visiting the facilities at least 5 times per meal.

I have to admit when we got into the hotel and I saw that porcelain god sitting there smack dab in the bathroom I was a bit overjoyed. A tear may have escaped down my cheek. And once I sat on that white cool toilet I felt as though I could sit there forever. There was no need for me to be there, I didn't have to "go" but I wasn't leaving. I found this toilet and it was mine.

A week flew by and we roughed it, were involved in the illegal trafficking of persons, and finally met some family members that we won't soon forget. We will miss and look forward to seeing them all soon. (Hard Rock Resort, Punta Cana, January 2013!) It was a great week. The best part, of course, was spending some much needed time with the ol' mom. Grandma, Mom whatever you call her, makes roughing it, illegal activity and wilderness all okay. Thanks Mom!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bird, a pig, and a Cat.... with a faithful Dog.

W e once had a guinea pig. We got the guinea pig after my budgie was found belly up one morning. Although I didn’t do much else than complain about the mess and the noise of my beloved Bananas (the budgie), I missed the little guy when he met his end. Bananas was a “Fur & Feather” find from about 6 years previous, so as the Spring edition of the show was approaching, I was expecting to purchase another feathered friend. My first mistake was taking my son with me to the show. My second mistake was also taking my nephew along. We quickly bypassed all the cute little birds and bee lined it to furry creatures. And I wish that meant, a nice puppy, maybe even a little donkey or a goat (no one would notice a small barnyard animal living in my shed in my suburban crescent would they?).  But alas, no, we did not get a bird or even a puppy. What was it that so enthralled the boys? A guinea pig, that’s what. Sure, he was kinda creepy at first, a hairy rodent living in my house. But t

Real Estate, Church Crescent and Pools.

New to the neighbourhood.... Thinking of moving into our neighbourhood? Well, you better check with Gus Grafos. He is definitely giving our new neighbours the ol' cold shoulder. He is bitter. That was his house. We had made an offer on the same house they moved into. We didn't firm our offer when their offer came in, so we lost out and believe me, an eight year old can hold a grudge! (And yes, I tried to buy a house across the street from me! What can I say, it's a great crescent!) He mutters each time we pull onto our crescent and one of their cars is parked on the street. They have too  many cars, too many guests, and they need to stop parking on the street! Gus finds this disturbing. He would like them to restrict their vehicular action to their own stinkin' driveway. He has even sunk as low as to insult their dog, who happens to be a sweet looking little beagle. Gus claims the dog 'doesn't look too smart'. He has the idea that, given the oppor

Tasha and the Great Outdoors.

Where will I be this summer? It's only taken 10 years, but I will be boarding AirCanada flight AC1121 at 7:55 am on July 14th headed for Saskatoon, SK with my son, Gus, and nephew, Ethan.  From there we will be whisked away to my mother's idea of paradise near La Ronge, a mere 5 hour drive from Saskatoon. I have resisted visiting my mom, Joan, over the last decade since she moved across the country, but alas, her latest plea (aka guilt trip!) wore me down. My strong, vital mother pulled the old, I want you here while I am still happy & healthy... not when I am sick and you HAVE to come. Geez louise, she really laid it on thick. But, to her credit, it worked. The visits from my mother to Ontario have been plenty in the last 10 years and we do talk daily. My reluctancy to head over to SK was not due to any silly family feud or anything of that sort. You see, my mom lives a different sort of lifestyle. One that I am completely unfamiliar with... a RUSTIC lifestyle!