Skip to main content

From Ma'am to Bananas

I am sitting precariously atop of "the hill". I arrived there this week. And I ask you to please not make any sudden movements, noise or carry on foolishly while I am teetering there. I wouldn't want to drop suddenly over the hill! My birthday, a fairly momentous one, has left me looking down from my high perch at all the young'ns, reminiscing of the carefree days of my youth.

Although, to perfectly honest, I still feel like a "young adult" and I wonder when the hell am I going to feel like a grown up? I mean, I do have a pretty grown up life. I have a child. I have a house. I have a car. I buy my own diamonds and I buy my own rings. The shoes on my feet, I bought it. All the women who are independent, throw your hands up at me. Sorry, I got a bit carried away there. I had to represent for all us honey's who's makin money... and again, carried away. Back to it... What do grown ups do, how do they feel? Cause this old gal sure doesn't feel like an old gal.

Some of my friends who are actually older than me (and believe me there aren't  many!) give me hope. They don't really seem all that grown up to me either. (Sorry or you're welcome?) We still have fun. We know how to throw back a few. We know how to liven up a party. And I still think we should be referred to as "girls", damn it. Or old broad, whichever, just please don't call me a ma'am. Ma'am scares me. Like if I were to walk onto a bus, they'd offer me their seat scares me. Or help me carry my paper bag of groceries across the street scares me. Ma'am is a name reserved for ladies with a blue tinted perm. Ladies wearing a smart coat with a fur collar and a sparkly brooch. 

Now that I am commuting an hour to and from work each day, I find that I have a lot of time to think. Which in some cases can be good and some, well, not so good. One thing I do often think of is the question I posed earlier, when does one begin to feel like an adult? Of course another serious thought that I can't shake is I have just realized that there must be banana farms somewhere. I am disturbed that I never gave bananas serious thought before this year. In the back of my mind I imagined bananas growing wildly in the rain forests, with locals gathering them and shipping them overseas for our enjoyment. I cannot believe that I was living in a banana fog. Bananas have to grow on farms, I mean we, as a population, eat a lot of bananas! Why have I never seen a commercial from a banana farm? I have seen orange groves, apple orchards, grapes, cranberries, but where the heck are the bananas? And to be honest I refuse to google it. I don't want to shatter my banana dream. 

How did I get to bananas? I was talking about age. Oh... My.... it must be happening. I must be starting to show my age. You don't just go off on a banana tangent while talking about aging do you? That's something an old person would do isn't it? Guess I better beef up on the ginko and the other old people herbs and vitamins. My mind must be starting to slip.

I have mentioned in another writing to you my thoughts on botox and injectable fillers and again I would like to point out, if you are looking to get me a belated birthday gift, I am open to receiving medical cosmetics. Very open. Maybe if I got some botox my brain would rest for a bit. Then I could stop thinking about bananas and start thinking about young people things again, like.... oh no. What do young people think about? I must be old, because I immediately thought of Lego and Hot Wheels when trying to think "young".  Yikes, I need to get out more. 

All kidding aside, I still feel like a Spring Chicken. And I am going to stay that way for as long as I can.  Life is about enjoyment. And I do enjoy my life. I have great friends, the best son EVER and I love my family. I never want to feel old, I will hang onto whatever piece of youth I have until the very end! It's the only way to live, live for what is good and what makes you happy!

Sorry, I got all serious there, but I do want to thank you all so much for taking time to read my little rants. I forget how much I love to write and really must make sure that I take more time to do it!!!  Maybe it will keep me even younger ;) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bird, a pig, and a Cat.... with a faithful Dog.

W e once had a guinea pig. We got the guinea pig after my budgie was found belly up one morning. Although I didn’t do much else than complain about the mess and the noise of my beloved Bananas (the budgie), I missed the little guy when he met his end. Bananas was a “Fur & Feather” find from about 6 years previous, so as the Spring edition of the show was approaching, I was expecting to purchase another feathered friend. My first mistake was taking my son with me to the show. My second mistake was also taking my nephew along. We quickly bypassed all the cute little birds and bee lined it to furry creatures. And I wish that meant, a nice puppy, maybe even a little donkey or a goat (no one would notice a small barnyard animal living in my shed in my suburban crescent would they?).  But alas, no, we did not get a bird or even a puppy. What was it that so enthralled the boys? A guinea pig, that’s what. Sure, he was kinda creepy at first, a hairy rodent living in my house. But t

Real Estate, Church Crescent and Pools.

New to the neighbourhood.... Thinking of moving into our neighbourhood? Well, you better check with Gus Grafos. He is definitely giving our new neighbours the ol' cold shoulder. He is bitter. That was his house. We had made an offer on the same house they moved into. We didn't firm our offer when their offer came in, so we lost out and believe me, an eight year old can hold a grudge! (And yes, I tried to buy a house across the street from me! What can I say, it's a great crescent!) He mutters each time we pull onto our crescent and one of their cars is parked on the street. They have too  many cars, too many guests, and they need to stop parking on the street! Gus finds this disturbing. He would like them to restrict their vehicular action to their own stinkin' driveway. He has even sunk as low as to insult their dog, who happens to be a sweet looking little beagle. Gus claims the dog 'doesn't look too smart'. He has the idea that, given the oppor

Tasha and the Great Outdoors.

Where will I be this summer? It's only taken 10 years, but I will be boarding AirCanada flight AC1121 at 7:55 am on July 14th headed for Saskatoon, SK with my son, Gus, and nephew, Ethan.  From there we will be whisked away to my mother's idea of paradise near La Ronge, a mere 5 hour drive from Saskatoon. I have resisted visiting my mom, Joan, over the last decade since she moved across the country, but alas, her latest plea (aka guilt trip!) wore me down. My strong, vital mother pulled the old, I want you here while I am still happy & healthy... not when I am sick and you HAVE to come. Geez louise, she really laid it on thick. But, to her credit, it worked. The visits from my mother to Ontario have been plenty in the last 10 years and we do talk daily. My reluctancy to head over to SK was not due to any silly family feud or anything of that sort. You see, my mom lives a different sort of lifestyle. One that I am completely unfamiliar with... a RUSTIC lifestyle!