Skip to main content

Restaurants, Long Weekends and Resentment

Do you have a bathroom?



After years of being in the restaurant business, I cannot express the happiness I feel at the prospect of having a long weekend off!

Long weekends in a restaurant mean more work, longer hours and resentful thoughts to all those happy travellers who stop in and ask "do you have a bathroom?" To which you are always tempted to say, no, sorry we don't, there's a bucket out back you can use though.

Do you have a bathroom? I am always shocked when I hear people ask this question, what the heck!? Of course, there is a bathroom! Whether you can use it or find it, now that is the real question.

"Do you have a menu?" Nope, sorry we aren't that type of restaurant.

"Is everything you have on the menu?" No we have a secret menu too, but we only show that to people we like.

Last table in the restaurant... "Oh sorry, are we holding you up?"  

Would you like something to drink... "No- I'll have a water"

"Is your food any good here?" No, sorry, the restaurant with the good food is up the road.

Of course, a silly question is just that, silly, laughable, a shake your head moment where you thank the good lord above for the blessing of your own incredible intelligence.

And let's remember just because someone "only" works in a restaurant they are not mindless or uneducated. You'd be amazed what goes home in those aprons, it would put the majority of the local office opportunity jobs to shame. A server works hard and believe me, it is not always easy to keep that fake smile plastered to your face!

We endure stupid jokes; that we are forced to laugh at, absurd questions; we are forced to answer truthfully rather than with the smart answer we have in mind, rude customers; who we are forced to try and be nice to (although you'd be amazed at what you can get away with saying as long as you have a smile on your face:), and of course we do this all while fingers are snapped, cups waved at us from across the room, hands clapped and whistles are thrown our way so that we may be asked to fetch yet another refill on that coffee.

I do miss the restaurant sometimes, but during long weekends, holidays and other busy local events, a sly smile does escape me as I think of the freedom of not being in the business!

So, let's all remember this long weekend those poor working people who, like I used to, dread long weekends... and remember nothing says I appreciate your great service like a big fat tip!

I hope you all, working or not, enjoy the first long weekend of the season!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bird, a pig, and a Cat.... with a faithful Dog.

W e once had a guinea pig. We got the guinea pig after my budgie was found belly up one morning. Although I didn’t do much else than complain about the mess and the noise of my beloved Bananas (the budgie), I missed the little guy when he met his end. Bananas was a “Fur & Feather” find from about 6 years previous, so as the Spring edition of the show was approaching, I was expecting to purchase another feathered friend. My first mistake was taking my son with me to the show. My second mistake was also taking my nephew along. We quickly bypassed all the cute little birds and bee lined it to furry creatures. And I wish that meant, a nice puppy, maybe even a little donkey or a goat (no one would notice a small barnyard animal living in my shed in my suburban crescent would they?).  But alas, no, we did not get a bird or even a puppy. What was it that so enthralled the boys? A guinea pig, that’s what. Sure, he was kinda creepy at first, a hairy rodent living in my house. But t

Real Estate, Church Crescent and Pools.

New to the neighbourhood.... Thinking of moving into our neighbourhood? Well, you better check with Gus Grafos. He is definitely giving our new neighbours the ol' cold shoulder. He is bitter. That was his house. We had made an offer on the same house they moved into. We didn't firm our offer when their offer came in, so we lost out and believe me, an eight year old can hold a grudge! (And yes, I tried to buy a house across the street from me! What can I say, it's a great crescent!) He mutters each time we pull onto our crescent and one of their cars is parked on the street. They have too  many cars, too many guests, and they need to stop parking on the street! Gus finds this disturbing. He would like them to restrict their vehicular action to their own stinkin' driveway. He has even sunk as low as to insult their dog, who happens to be a sweet looking little beagle. Gus claims the dog 'doesn't look too smart'. He has the idea that, given the oppor

Tasha and the Great Outdoors.

Where will I be this summer? It's only taken 10 years, but I will be boarding AirCanada flight AC1121 at 7:55 am on July 14th headed for Saskatoon, SK with my son, Gus, and nephew, Ethan.  From there we will be whisked away to my mother's idea of paradise near La Ronge, a mere 5 hour drive from Saskatoon. I have resisted visiting my mom, Joan, over the last decade since she moved across the country, but alas, her latest plea (aka guilt trip!) wore me down. My strong, vital mother pulled the old, I want you here while I am still happy & healthy... not when I am sick and you HAVE to come. Geez louise, she really laid it on thick. But, to her credit, it worked. The visits from my mother to Ontario have been plenty in the last 10 years and we do talk daily. My reluctancy to head over to SK was not due to any silly family feud or anything of that sort. You see, my mom lives a different sort of lifestyle. One that I am completely unfamiliar with... a RUSTIC lifestyle!