Skip to main content

Better Late Than Never


 

May 12th:  

Trillium Run, Mt Forest

My first experience at any type of a race, run, whatever you would like to call it, was a wee bit of a shock to me. I had no idea the level of competitiveness in these runners. I thought the fact that they referred to the run as the "5km Road Race" was just a formality. But no, it was definitely a race to the finish... for most. I had no intentions of beating any preconceived time or "medalling" in the race, believe me, no intention at all! But much to my chagrin, EVERYONE'S time was recorded for public view and noted by everyone, and later will be published for even more people to see. It makes me laugh at the thought. And the story of my first race, is for sure that, a laugh!

We ran... sort of. Gus, Linda & I made a strong start, but it was a short lived strength. We stuck to our plan of running 2 minutes, walking 1 minute for the first kilometre, after that things definitely started to fall apart!

It took a kilometre before the eight year old's eyes were brimmed with tears. There was a constant threat of those tears spilling out at any point thereafter. We tried encouragement, bribery and I did the occasional "mom" thing and added a threat. It was a 5km battle with a ornery 8 year old.

I knew we were in trouble when the "walkers" started passing us. I tried to encourage Gus to move faster, but my efforts were futile. He was determined to WALK and by walk, I mean me dragging him while he remained at least 3 steps behind me! (About an hour after the "race" my shoulder started to throb and I thought to myself, what the heck, why is my shoulder so sore?! Then it dawned on me; I spent a good 1.5 - 2 km dragging a 70lb child)

When Linda's grandson's met up with us along the way, things improved a little. Gus was still dead set against breaking the snail's pace we had set. But his spirits were greatly improved. Then once the end was in sight the sluggish, tired, cranky boy disappeared and a determined little runner emerged. We set back on our original plan of walking 1 minute, running 2 minutes. As we were drawing close to the finish line, we were laughing, chatting and having a great time. I turned to talk to Gus only to see him ZIP right past and lunge towards the end. He was flying! I had struggled for a little life out of him for the last 4 km and now he literally pulls a fast one on me!!

I was amazed, after all the dragging, encouraging, and occasional threat that I had resorted to throughout the race, all that was really needed was the glory of having people see him finish and finish in style. 

To top the day off, Gus managed to receive a 2nd place medal. He did "medal" in his first race. (I should really mention there were only 2 boys under 9, so he was kind of a shoe in) So, as I struggled to keep him going, he left me in the dust. And now, while he is enjoying another trophy for his collection, I am underwhelmed at my standing in the official times of the 5km "racers". Oh well, better late than never.... And it was an experience. We didn't beat any records, but as our first attempt, at least we tried it, and finished.

Can't say it was overly "fun" for me from kilometres 1 - 4, but I will overlook this for the sake of the child. In the end he was happy and pleased with himself. And I am also proud of him. He wanted to quit and did come close, but he didn't, he carried on and he finished his very first 5km race at eight years old.

And let's not say, that I would have done much better had i not been with him. I have no qualms in admitting, I am not a runner!.... But there is always next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bird, a pig, and a Cat.... with a faithful Dog.

W e once had a guinea pig. We got the guinea pig after my budgie was found belly up one morning. Although I didn’t do much else than complain about the mess and the noise of my beloved Bananas (the budgie), I missed the little guy when he met his end. Bananas was a “Fur & Feather” find from about 6 years previous, so as the Spring edition of the show was approaching, I was expecting to purchase another feathered friend. My first mistake was taking my son with me to the show. My second mistake was also taking my nephew along. We quickly bypassed all the cute little birds and bee lined it to furry creatures. And I wish that meant, a nice puppy, maybe even a little donkey or a goat (no one would notice a small barnyard animal living in my shed in my suburban crescent would they?).  But alas, no, we did not get a bird or even a puppy. What was it that so enthralled the boys? A guinea pig, that’s what. Sure, he was kinda creepy at first, a hairy rodent living in my house. But t

Real Estate, Church Crescent and Pools.

New to the neighbourhood.... Thinking of moving into our neighbourhood? Well, you better check with Gus Grafos. He is definitely giving our new neighbours the ol' cold shoulder. He is bitter. That was his house. We had made an offer on the same house they moved into. We didn't firm our offer when their offer came in, so we lost out and believe me, an eight year old can hold a grudge! (And yes, I tried to buy a house across the street from me! What can I say, it's a great crescent!) He mutters each time we pull onto our crescent and one of their cars is parked on the street. They have too  many cars, too many guests, and they need to stop parking on the street! Gus finds this disturbing. He would like them to restrict their vehicular action to their own stinkin' driveway. He has even sunk as low as to insult their dog, who happens to be a sweet looking little beagle. Gus claims the dog 'doesn't look too smart'. He has the idea that, given the oppor

Tasha and the Great Outdoors.

Where will I be this summer? It's only taken 10 years, but I will be boarding AirCanada flight AC1121 at 7:55 am on July 14th headed for Saskatoon, SK with my son, Gus, and nephew, Ethan.  From there we will be whisked away to my mother's idea of paradise near La Ronge, a mere 5 hour drive from Saskatoon. I have resisted visiting my mom, Joan, over the last decade since she moved across the country, but alas, her latest plea (aka guilt trip!) wore me down. My strong, vital mother pulled the old, I want you here while I am still happy & healthy... not when I am sick and you HAVE to come. Geez louise, she really laid it on thick. But, to her credit, it worked. The visits from my mother to Ontario have been plenty in the last 10 years and we do talk daily. My reluctancy to head over to SK was not due to any silly family feud or anything of that sort. You see, my mom lives a different sort of lifestyle. One that I am completely unfamiliar with... a RUSTIC lifestyle!