Skip to main content

Times, They are a Changin.... AGAIN!

Well, for a self-proclaimed addict to stability and a creature who cowls in the face of change, I seem to be walking directly into change's line of fire and throwing stability out the window.

Don't get me wrong, I want my good friend, stability, to snuggle in and sit with me for a while, while my dreaded foe, change, hits the road and keeps on walkin', but it doesn't seem to be working out that way for now.

It all started a few years ago when my life got flipped turned upside down. It began with a tragic accident and snowballed from there, leaving both sides of my family sad and without our beloved patriarchs. But I have to say we all put on our big girl panties and did the best darn job we could without them. Things changed, they had to, and some change was good. Some things just got different, different in a way that was, well, different.

Let's fast forward a bit, get over that teary little bit... After a lot of hemming and hawing I decided that I should take over a family business, a restaurant. I had worked there for years with my in-laws and was pretty used to the life of a restaurateur, so I thought. When my mother in law was ready to finally rest her feet for a while and hang up the ol' apron, I thought, why not!? I can do this, I can run this by myself! Pfffft! Let me tell you why not! If you are running a restaurant by yourself, kiss your child goodbye, 'cause they probably won't see you until they are old enough to work for you. Take back that giant, foam finger that cheers your child on at sporting events, you won't get there, you have to work. Oh, and just don't bother answering when the fam calls, 'cause they probably want you to come over for some turkey on Thanksgiving, sorry pal, you're working.

So after giving it a good go and shedding some tears at feeling like I had failed my family, I decided my child was number one. I needed my Gus time. I pulled away watching the restaurant fade away in the rear view mirror. Of course, this is my poetic solilquay for the restaurant sold. (See, my creative liberties are much more entertaining)

After a summer of trying to think what do I want to do when I grow up, a great summer by the way, full of family and friends, I made a decision... I was going to open yet another business. (You can shake your head and roll your eyes now, I will pretend I don't know what you are thinking)

To my credit, I see Gus much more. Unfortunately most of that time he is with me at work. He's the only 8 year old with a full time job that I know. This kid's resume is going to be phenomenal.

Gus and I have discussed selling all our wordly goods and investing in a caravan. If Gypsies, can do it (and have more than one reality tv show about their lives) why can't we? We would make for some good tv too. My Big Fat Gypsy Greek Son sorta has a nice ring to it. We would just park in the lot at 392 Main Street North. Who knows, it could be fun. Gus has always said, since he was potty training, that we should sell our jeep and get an RV, that way we don't have to pull over to pee. I see his point now. I could slip up for a nap throughout the day, rig my rig to alert me when someone was going into the studio... but alas, this is just a delusion. Let's get realistic here. They likely won't make a show based on my life so let's give up this pipe dream now. Time to get serious.

Fast forward to today... I am packing it in yet again. I think I am done being the boss for a while. (Yes, you read that right, I am done being the boss. But let's be clear, I never said I was done being bossy!) I am ready to work for someone else. I want to be the one that calls in sick and not the one that gets called when someone is sick. (For any prospective employers that may be reading this... that was just used as yet another creative liberty, I obviously would NEVER actually call in sick, that's just for babies)

So, in case you haven't heard through our little Mount Forest grapevine, I sold the studio and come October I will pull away watching as she fades away in rear view mirror.

Now, don't worry you will have a fab new owner and all will be good in the studio, but my bright eyed and bushy tailed self won't be here to greet you. Wipe those tears, it's ok you can always catch up with me here!... and if you own a business, call me! I need a job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bird, a pig, and a Cat.... with a faithful Dog.

W e once had a guinea pig. We got the guinea pig after my budgie was found belly up one morning. Although I didn’t do much else than complain about the mess and the noise of my beloved Bananas (the budgie), I missed the little guy when he met his end. Bananas was a “Fur & Feather” find from about 6 years previous, so as the Spring edition of the show was approaching, I was expecting to purchase another feathered friend. My first mistake was taking my son with me to the show. My second mistake was also taking my nephew along. We quickly bypassed all the cute little birds and bee lined it to furry creatures. And I wish that meant, a nice puppy, maybe even a little donkey or a goat (no one would notice a small barnyard animal living in my shed in my suburban crescent would they?).  But alas, no, we did not get a bird or even a puppy. What was it that so enthralled the boys? A guinea pig, that’s what. Sure, he was kinda creepy at first, a hairy rodent living in my house. But t

Real Estate, Church Crescent and Pools.

New to the neighbourhood.... Thinking of moving into our neighbourhood? Well, you better check with Gus Grafos. He is definitely giving our new neighbours the ol' cold shoulder. He is bitter. That was his house. We had made an offer on the same house they moved into. We didn't firm our offer when their offer came in, so we lost out and believe me, an eight year old can hold a grudge! (And yes, I tried to buy a house across the street from me! What can I say, it's a great crescent!) He mutters each time we pull onto our crescent and one of their cars is parked on the street. They have too  many cars, too many guests, and they need to stop parking on the street! Gus finds this disturbing. He would like them to restrict their vehicular action to their own stinkin' driveway. He has even sunk as low as to insult their dog, who happens to be a sweet looking little beagle. Gus claims the dog 'doesn't look too smart'. He has the idea that, given the oppor

Tasha and the Great Outdoors.

Where will I be this summer? It's only taken 10 years, but I will be boarding AirCanada flight AC1121 at 7:55 am on July 14th headed for Saskatoon, SK with my son, Gus, and nephew, Ethan.  From there we will be whisked away to my mother's idea of paradise near La Ronge, a mere 5 hour drive from Saskatoon. I have resisted visiting my mom, Joan, over the last decade since she moved across the country, but alas, her latest plea (aka guilt trip!) wore me down. My strong, vital mother pulled the old, I want you here while I am still happy & healthy... not when I am sick and you HAVE to come. Geez louise, she really laid it on thick. But, to her credit, it worked. The visits from my mother to Ontario have been plenty in the last 10 years and we do talk daily. My reluctancy to head over to SK was not due to any silly family feud or anything of that sort. You see, my mom lives a different sort of lifestyle. One that I am completely unfamiliar with... a RUSTIC lifestyle!